By Ian Spooner, One Gin Co-Founder
This week, in this unprecedented context, we are celebrating our 3rd birthday.
I never imagined Covid-19 would be the context for this milestone, and as a small business it’s going to be tough, but we will get through it. The last few weeks have highlighted for me how critical our cause is – I can’t count the number of times I or my children have washed our hands in the last few days, whereas 785 million people around the world are facing this epidemic without that basic right. We should be truly grateful for what we have.
One Gin was created on World Water Day 2017 to further support The One Brand’s efforts to bring safe, clean water to the world’s poorest communities. And somehow that feels more relevant than ever right now.
The journey to date hasn’t been without its hurdles but when I reflect over the last 3 years, I feel very proud of what our small team has achieved. A few of our highlights (large and small) have included…
- An IWSC Gold award
- Becoming the first gin to launch in World Duty Free (huge thanks to Nigel Sandals).
- A successful £20k Crowdfunder raise to launch our 70cl.
- A two year partnership with Tesco – thank you Andrew Hargreaves for believing in us and to Sarah Sturgeon and Ami Harmer for their continued support.
- Working with some exceptional customers including Claridge’s, The National Theatre, Hawksmoor, Fullers and Pearmain Pubs.
- Realising our ambition for a brand home, thanks to Dee and her wonderful team at Mews of Mayfair. (Do pop in to The One Gin Gallery next time you are in the area.)
- Launching One Sage & Apple Gin with Craft Gin Club and raising over £12,000 for The One Foundation in the process. Thanks to John Burke and the enthusiastic team at CGC.
- Entering our first two export markets this year.
I want to thank the small but hugely passionate team of people who are bringing so much to our business every day – in particular Joe, Harry, Ciana and David.
Here’s to a different future. This time next year I hope we will be raising a G&T to a world changed for the better, where we have made a positive impact, no matter how small it may be.