It’s National Apple Month this October, a celebration of one of the nation’s favourite fruit (we have no less than 2,300 varieties preserved in the National Fruit Collection).
This annual celebration of apples and orchards has evolved from World Apple Day, traditionally held on the 21st of October. This tasty fruit is particularly special to us as our perfect Crisp Apple G&T is served with a quality tonic and a couple of fresh, crisp apple slices (and a sage leaf when in season) or for a little twist try it paired with ginger ale, some apple fresh apple slices and some pink peppercorns.
Apple slices go beautifully with the distinctive sage flavour profile of our gin, and you get the added bonus of having a very tasty apple slice to nibble on when your glass is sadly empty!
One gin crumble
The Autumnal months call for delicious hot puddings & cocktails and we have the perfect recipes featuring our delicious Crisp Apple Gin to warm you up.
For the filling
3 Bramley cooking apples
50g brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
50ml One Crisp Apple Gin
For the crumble
175g plain flour
110g brown sugar
1 tsp salt
110g chilled butter
- Peel, core & cube your apples
- In bowl mix the apples, brown sugar, cinnamon and One Gin Crisp Apple and set to the side
- In another bowl combine all of your dry ingredients for the crumble. Slice the chilled butter and rub into the dry mix until you have consistency of moist breadcrumbs.
- Decant your apple mix into greased mini overproof tray or one large tray and cover with crumble mix
- Cook in a preheated oven at 190 degrees (gas)/170 degrees (fan) for 45 mins or until the top of the crumble is golden brown
- Leave to rest for 10 minutes before diving in and getting ready to enjoy the appley goodness! (no burnt tongues here!)
Warm appple Gin Cider
A warming winter cocktail that’s just perfect for fireworks displays and bonfire night.
750ml Thatchers Gold Cider
150ml One Gin Crisp Apple
2 x mulling spice bags (available from supermarkets)
Peel of 1 orange & 1 lemon (discarding the pith)
1 orange & 1 lemon sliced
Add mulling spice bags, orange and lemon peel slices and cider to a saucepan and warm gently. Once hot, stir in honey, add One Gin and ladle into mugs to serve.
Line to break up between hot 7 cold cocktails
A sweet and refreshing short cocktail, the perfect Autumnal aperitif.
40ml One Gin Crisp Apple
40ml Thatchers Katy Cider
10ml lemon juice
1 barspoon honey
2-3 dashes of dark bitters
Add the lemon juice and honey to a mixing glass and stir until well combined. Add the gin and some ice and shake well, strain into a martini glass and top with cider and a few dashes of dark bitters.
We hope you enjoy trying out these tasty Autumnal treats over the next few weeks, and keep your eyes peeled for a special announcement this month!